Site Owner
Site Owner
Favorite video games and series': Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Legend of Zelda
Mario
Kirby
Pokémon
About me: Nintendo Social site owner. Severe childhood abandonment issues.

Religion and Art

Unread postby Solemn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 am

Question on YouTube about a religious movie (by two non-religious people, I should add).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsh2Y8M ... 903.815895

Son Of Ragnar1 week ago (edited)
I have nothing against Christians but honestly, why is it that every Christian movie out there (aside from The passion, which I really enjoyed) is so atrociously bad? And why are Christians so dishonest about how terrible they are?

Here was my response:

Do you really want to know? I grew up fundamentalist, but I've always been a rationalist, an intellectual, and a wannabe writer/director-- and that kicked the fundy out for good when I became an adult. The problem with religious movies isn't just the movies. Religious art of every kind suffers from several very specific problems.

The first problem is that heavily religious people have the mistaken belief that the Bible has all the answers (even though it never even mentions important themes such as defining maturity, defining and dealing with child abuse, or even dealing with self-forgiveness) and that they as religious people should be separated from the outside world (misinterpreting a specific teaching brought up a few times). Therefore, heavily religious people are often very sheltered. They have no understanding or interest in the tastes and expectations of the outer, more artistically-developed world.

The second problem is that heavily religious people are ALWAYS preaching to the choir when making religious art, even when it's supposed to inspire or convert non-religious people. (They never look to the outside for wisdom-- they don't understand the way non-religious people reason and they certainly don't want to start asking the same philosophical questions as non-religious people are willing to ask.) As long as their particular art contains the message they want to hear, they don't care about quality, trends, standards, or tastes.

The third problem is a little more subjective, but I really do believe that it is true. Heavily religious people have a long tradition of misinterpretation. First, they usually use antiquated or biased translations of their teachings-- the 1611 British translation of the Bible or the New International Version (respectively) are the most common. In reality, translations are NEVER clean-- try translating "beat around the bush" literally, or try properly interpreting such an idiom from, I don't know, 20 A.D.. And then the fundies try to teach that the 1611 British Bible is the one true flawless version, which is batshit for at least two reasons. But I digress. Religious people also teach a lot of things that aren't in the Bible at all because of tradition after a misinterpretation-- for example completely missing the points of the morality and the differences of and between "swearing" and "cursing" and "taking God's name in vain". My point being that if Christians wouldn't teach crap that wasn't taught by the Bible in the first place, I personally believe they would be more rational, kind, and progressive (Jesus Christ was extremely rational and always argued rational points and conclusions when he spoke).

After my rationality grew stronger as I grew older, I left associating myself with the vast majority of Christians-- but I never left being a Christian, not by a long shot. I think rationality only strengthened it. I am a rationalist first, and a Christian second. Because if my faith doesn't hold up, then how can I actually hold my faith?.

After my rationality grew stronger as I grew older, I left associating myself with the vast majority of Christians-- but I never left being a Christian, not by a long shot. I think rationality only strengthened it. I am a rationalist first, and a Christian second. Because if my faith doesn't hold up, then how can I actually hold my faith?

Stop surprise-adopting me.

Return to “General Discussion”